Still Baking Christmas Cookies...


Weekend is here, and still baking cookies, what can I say? No, haven't started the Christmas letter yet...will get it done this weekend, somehow.

But Christmas is not Christmas unless I get to eat Mom's Italian Cookies. I don't know where she got the recipe originally, but she's been making them for years and my brother and I ususally fight over them (not literally...well...maybe). I can remember when Mom, along with some of her girlfriends - one of which owned the only grocery store in town - would bake cookies for two or three days for Christmas. They baked them at the bakery in Reynolds Market, where later my brother and I would both work at during high school. What a bonus of a small town when you can just use the commercial kitchen at the local grocery store!
My cookies turned out good, but for whatever reason, not as good as when Mom makes them. I'm so blessed to have my mom, for thousands of reasons besides these delicious cookies. I am very thankful for that gift.

Mom's Italian Cookies

8 cups of flour
6 eggs
8 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup milk
2 cups sugar
2 cups shortening
3 T Vanilla

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- I used parchment paper on cookie sheets

- Sift flour and baking powder.
- In seperate bowl, cream sugar and shortening
- Add eggs, mixing one at a time, until well blended
- Add flour and other ingredients
- Roll into balls (small, maybe 3/4")
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.

Mom told me to mix powdered sugar, little milk and little almond extract; no measurements. I tried to figure out for you, but lost count, but somewhere along the lines of 5 cups powdered sugar, 1 tsp almond and 2/3 cup milk. Just keep tasting.

Sprinkle with red and green cake decorating sugar (before the icing hardens).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chunky Tomato Soup and Cheesy Croissants

Christmas Letter 2017

Christmas Letter 2018