Let The House Renovation Begin

It's been a long, long time since I've posted on this blog.  Needless to say, "Jen's Adventures" was foreshadowing for the way life would turn from January 2011 to now.  It's been a learning experience and the summary is:  

  • I finally have a published book with name as a (co-) author.
  • It brought me back home to be with family and old friends.
  • It allowed me to lead a development and renovation of a heritage museum in my hometown.
  • It allowed me to establish a couple downtown events.
  • I was able to purchase and renovate (ongoing) a building next to the museum that I hope to turn into a bakery.
  • I have a vacation home rental property in Nashville now; again, long story, but it's a house I renovated.
  • And in addition to some career shifts, I just recently bought a 1921 house in my hometown of Carterville, Illinois.  So recent that I just closed on the house a week ago - Oct. 12th.

So, from here, I'll be blogging mostly on "the dig" as you might say; renovating this small gem of a house and the adventures that come my way.

One of the first tasks to complete is to remove the chimney from throughout the house.  I thought I could handle the inside, but was going to let a contractor handle starting it on the roof and patching the roof properly.

When rain and unfinished work postponed the contractor, I decided on the day after I bought the house to get started on this project and if I could get the chimney down for them, I would save some cash.

The extension ladder appeared long enough on the way up.  Soon, it would not as I hurried to get down.  After crawling to the top of the house and right before taking a slam at the chimney, wasps flew out of the chimney and towards me.  Somehow, I managed to stay calm and after thanking Jesus out loud a few times, I made it down the ladder safely.

From that adventure, I decided to do something calm like the removal of the boards surrounding the chimney in the living room.  I guess in 1921 and beyond, they did what they had to do, so a house had to have a chimney from the furnace for heat, and if it came right through the living room wall, you do a "when life gives you lemons" deal and surround it with shelves in the shape of a Christmas tree.

You'll note the tree-like shelves to the right of the photo below.  You'll also note a lovely ceiling fan that I couldn't wait to take down, especially because no one could ever find a switch for this light.  It came on when I actually put bulbs in it that worked, and it stayed on for two days until I finally flipped the breaker.

I took it down and put it in the stack for the local 

thrift store, and replaced it with a porcelain fixture with chain while this room is under construction.

Ta-da.  I would have taken a photo with the light on, but it doesn't translate, so just trust me, it works.

A lot more happened last week, but you'll have to give me a bit to catch up.  Stay tuned for another post when I'm not about to fall asleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chunky Tomato Soup and Cheesy Croissants

Christmas Letter 2017

Christmas Letter 2018