- I finally have a published book with name as a (co-) author.
- It brought me back home to be with family and old friends.
- It allowed me to lead a development and renovation of a heritage museum in my hometown.
- It allowed me to establish a couple downtown events.
- I was able to purchase and renovate (ongoing) a building next to the museum that I hope to turn into a bakery.
- I have a vacation home rental property in Nashville now; again, long story, but it's a house I renovated.
- And in addition to some career shifts, I just recently bought a 1921 house in my hometown of Carterville, Illinois. So recent that I just closed on the house a week ago - Oct. 12th.
So, from here, I'll be blogging mostly on "the dig" as you might say; renovating this small gem of a house and the adventures that come my way.
One of the first tasks to complete is to remove the chimney from throughout the house. I thought I could handle the inside, but was going to let a contractor handle starting it on the roof and patching the roof properly.
When rain and unfinished work postponed the contractor, I decided on the day after I bought the house to get started on this project and if I could get the chimney down for them, I would save some cash.
The extension ladder appeared long enough on the way up. Soon, it would not as I hurried to get down. After crawling to the top of the house and right before taking a slam at the chimney, wasps flew out of the chimney and towards me. Somehow, I managed to stay calm and after thanking Jesus out loud a few times, I made it down the ladder safely.
From that adventure, I decided to do something calm like the removal of the boards surrounding the chimney in the living room. I guess in 1921 and beyond, they did what they had to do, so a house had to have a chimney from the furnace for heat, and if it came right through the living room wall, you do a "when life gives you lemons" deal and surround it with shelves in the shape of a Christmas tree.
You'll note the tree-like shelves to the right of the photo below. You'll also note a lovely ceiling fan that I couldn't wait to take down, especially because no one could ever find a switch for this light. It came on when I actually put bulbs in it that worked, and it stayed on for two days until I finally flipped the breaker.
I took it down and put it in the stack for the local
thrift store, and replaced it with a porcelain fixture with chain while this room is under construction.
Ta-da. I would have taken a photo with the light on, but it doesn't translate, so just trust me, it works.
A lot more happened last week, but you'll have to give me a bit to catch up. Stay tuned for another post when I'm not about to fall asleep.